Panimayamatha Church & Festival

 


Vishakam

 

History

 

The history of shine Basillica is closely connected with the history of the conversion of the  PARAVARS the indigenous people of the pearly fishery coast. In fact, our lady of snows, is fondly called in portugeese Senhora, Das Navis Which means our lady of snows.

 

New Church

 

Fr. Vilgiluus Mansi, Whole heartedly took great efforts. He obtained permission from the Dutch Government (at Ceylon) to construct a new church for Mother Mary of snows. On August 5th 1713, the new church was opened and blessed and the first feast in the new church was celebrated in a grand scale.

 

Golden Car

 

Devotees presented a golden car which is used to carry to miracles statue of our lady of snows the town during her feast day. The Golden Car first appeared in procession on 2nd  Feb 1806 and since them on 5th August of every year.

Every year on 5th august, the Panimayamatha car Festival was conducted here, the District administration declared local holiday for whole district

 

 

Contact Address

Our Lady of snows.

41,Beach Road Thoothukudi 628 001

Telephone No

91-0461- 2320854     91-0461-2334919

Email Id

rector(at)snowsbasilica(dot)com

 

Contents provided by : District Collectorate, Thoothukudi
Site designed & hosted by : National Informatics Centre, Thoothukudi